[Haskell-cafe] Backward compatibility

Ertugrul Söylemez es at ertes.de
Fri May 3 11:04:55 CEST 2013

Raphael Gaschignard <dasuraga at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure most of us have experienced some issue with
> dependencies breaking , and its probably the most frustrating problem
> we can have have in any language. It's hard not to take this all a bit
> personally. Maybe if we think more about how to solve this (getting
> people to maintain their stuff, for example) we can make the world a
> better place instead of bickering about issues that are more or less
> language-agnostic really.

The problem can't be solved technically.  It's a human problem after all
and it's amplified by the experimentalism in this community.  I think
the best we can do is to acknowledge its existence, which places us way
ahead of mainstream programming communities.

We don't pretend that type X in lib-0.1.0 is the same as type X in
lib-0.2.0.  What we need to work on is the ability to actually combine
multiple versions of the same package conveniently, i.e. we shouldn't
view this combination as an error.

Greets,
Ertugrul