[Haskell-cafe] Parsec community and up-to-date documentation

Kim-Ee Yeoh ky3 at atamo.com
Mon Mar 25 00:11:20 CET 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 5:19 AM, Konstantine Rybnikov <k-bx at k-bx.com> wrote:
> as a beginner had a lot of headache starting from outdated documentation in
> various places, lack of more tutorials, confusion between Text.Parsec and
> Text.ParseCombinator modules and so on.

You're indeed right.

> While I solved most of my problems via googling / reading stackoverflow /
> reading source code (of outdated version first, btw, the one I got from
> Daan's homepage :),  I still had a feeling all the time that I'm doing
> something wrong and that I can't find place where "party is going on".

If you look at the dates of the papers on Wikipedia [1], the party was
totally hoppin' in the last decade of the previous century. Not so
much since. Sigh.

> So I wondered, what can I do to create a community around Parsec, to get
> issue tracking, pull-requests, up-to-date comprehensive documentation and
> tutorials etc.? Parsec seems like a perfect candidate for something like
> this.

While the experience is still fresh in your mind, may I suggest that
you write a note or two on the most confusing things you encountered
and how you dealt with them? Making your notes public is a way of
gathering a community around shared experiences.

Also, the denizens of the haskell IRC at freenode will gladly converse
with you about parsec. The same goes for subscribers to this list and
also haskell-beginners.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parser_combinator

-- Kim-Ee