[Haskell-cafe] Announcement - HGamer3D - 0.2.1 - why netwire

Ertugrul Söylemez es at ertes.de
Sun Mar 24 18:25:20 CET 2013

Heinrich Apfelmus <apfelmus at quantentunnel.de> wrote:

> So context has the same purpose as Conal's trim combinator [1].
> However, I believe that it is too inconvenient for managing very
> dynamic collections that need to keep track of state, as the context
> function significantly limits the scope of the stateful wire. That's
> why I've opted for a more flexible approach in Reactive.Banana.Switch
> , even if that introduces significant complexity in the type
> signatures.

Again you are thinking in primitive combinators.  Keep in mind that
context is nothing primitive.  In earlier releases of Netwire I had a
"manager" wire that allowed to manage a set of running wires by message
passing.  However, that wire turned out to be either too generic or too
specific.  There was no good balance, so I decided to get rid of it
altogether.

Now every library layer or application would write its own
application-specific manager wire.

> Again, I would be interested in an implementation of the BarTab
> example [2] to compare the two approaches.

I'm happy to provide one.  Please be patient until I release
netwire-vty, a terminal UI library based on Netwire.

Greets,
Ertugrul