[Haskell-cafe] Streaming bytes and performance

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Tue Mar 19 22:49:40 CET 2013

Hi Don,

 > "Using this input file stored in /dev/shm"
 >
 > So not measuring the IO performance at all. :)

of course the program measures I/O performance. It just doesn't measure
the speed of the disk.

Anyway, a highly optimized benchmark such as the one you posted is
eventually going to beat one that's not as highly optimized. I think
no-one disputes that fact.

I was merely trying to point out that a program which encodes its
evaluation order properly is going to be reasonably fast without any
further optimizations.

Take care,
Peter