[Haskell-cafe] Specialized Computer Architecture - A Question

Gwern Branwen gwern at gwern.net
Mon Mar 18 22:02:26 CET 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 4:31 PM, OWP <owpmailact at gmail.com> wrote:
> If I may ask, I'm not quite sure what O(2^n) and O(1) are?

Just a metaphor using algorithmic complexity, is all.

> I'm curious, were not all these built on the foundation of Moore's
> Law?  Everything Vigoda lists has Moore's Law in mind.  If Moore's Law
> were to suddenly disappear, could these survive on their own merit?

No one really knows, since Moore's law has operated for so long. There
seem to be constant factors to be had in my opinion* but in some
problems/areas/domains, ASICs don't seem to help very much**, and we
should not forget the colossal investments that a cutting-edge X86
chip fab represents*** which may make the best general bang for buck a
commodity processor. For example, for every person who trumpets a 100x
gain in switching their program to a GPU, there's another person
abandoning their effort because they lose all the speed gains in
transferring data back and forth from the GPU.

But I think this is getting pretty off-topic for Haskell-cafe.

* I'm not an expert, but some useful material is in
http://www.gwern.net/Aria%27s%20past,%20present,%20and%20future#fn3
and http://www.gwern.net/Self-decrypting%20files#constant-factors
** the more serial a problem is, the more conditionals, memory
accesses, and distinct operations a task requires, the more the
optimal processor will... look like a CPU.
*** http://www.gwern.net/Slowing%20Moore%27s%20Law#fab-costs-and-requirements

--
gwern