[Haskell-cafe] Open-source projects for beginning Haskell students?

Ernesto Rodriguez neto at netowork.me
Wed Mar 13 11:13:14 CET 2013

Dear Prof. Yorgey,

Not something very big, but if someone wants to get hands on working with
Parsec I started developing a library to work with motion capture (MoCap)
data. I need to parse MoCap data for my bachelor's thesis [1] so I decided
to do it in a way that might benefit others. On the other hand, I don't
need all the info in the file for my work and this project is not my
priority, so one of the students could extend the parser to parse the
sections of the file it currently ignores. Also more file types support
would be nice since I am only developing a parser for ASF/AMC files. The
project is very new, small and is located here:
https://github.com/netogallo/MoCap .  I can give you more details of the
tasks that could be done (essentially creating a parser fore more sections
of the file, define ADTs to represent those sections, semantic validation
of files, better error messages, ect.) and I would be willing to exchange
e-mails and answer questions to students if necessary.

Best Regards,

Ernesto Rodriguez

[1] https://github.com/netogallo/LambdaNN

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Brent Yorgey <byorgey at seas.upenn.edu>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am currently teaching a half-credit introductory Haskell class for
> undergraduates.  This is the third time I've taught it.  Both of the
> previous times, for their final project I gave them the option of
> contributing to an open-source project; a couple groups/individuals
> took me up on it and I think it ended up being a modest success.
>
> So I'd like to do it again this time around, and am looking for
> particular projects I can suggest to them.  Do you have an open-source
> project with a few well-specified tasks that a relative beginner (see
> below) could reasonably make a contribution towards in the space of
> about four weeks? I'm aware that most tasks don't fit that profile,
> but even complex projects usually have a few "simple-ish" tasks that
> haven't yet been done just because "no one has gotten around to it
> yet".
>
> If you have any such projects, I'd love to hear about it!  Just send
> me a paragraph or so describing your project and explaining what
> task(s) you could use help with --- something that I could put on the
> course website for students to look at.
>
> Here are a few more details:
>
> * The students will be working on the projects from approximately the
>   end of this month through the end of April.  During the next two
>   weeks they would be contacting you to discuss the possibility of
>   working on your project.
>
> * By "relative beginner" I mean someone familiar with the material
>   listed here: http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~cis194/lectures.html and just
>   trying to come to terms with Applicative and Monad.  They definitely
>   do not know much if anything about optimization/profiling, GADTs,
>   the mtl, or Haskell-programming-in-the-large.  (Although part of the
>   point of the project is to teach them a bit about
>   programming-in-the-(medium/large)).
>
> * What I would hope from you is a willingness to exchange email and/or
>   chat with the student(s) over the course of the project, to give
>   them a bit of guidance/mentoring.  I am certainly willing to help on
>   that front, but of course I probably don't know much about your
>   particular project.
>
> Thanks!
> -Brent

Ernesto Rodriguez

Bachelor of Computer Science - Class of 2013
Jacobs University Bremen