[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: grid-4.0 (tile maps for board games or maths)

Amy de Buitléir amy at nualeargais.ie
Fri Mar 8 23:20:12 CET 2013

I'm happy to announce a new major release of the grid package:

    http://hackage.haskell.org/package/grid
    https://github.com/mhwombat/grid/wiki (wiki)

WHAT'S NEW:

* The package now uses associated (type) synonyms instead of
multi-parameter type classes with functional dependencies.

* Added two new classes: FiniteGrid and BoundedGrid. Moved some
functions from the Grid class to the other classes, as appropriate.
For example, only finite grids need the "size" function, and only
bounded grids need the "boundary" function.

* Added Unbounded grids for square, hexagonal, and triangular tiles.

* Updated the userguide to reflect the changes.

ABOUT GRID:
Grid provides tools for working with regular arrangements of tiles, such as
might be used in a board game or self-organising map (SOM). Grid currently
supports triangular, square, and hexagonal tiles, with various 2D and toroidal
layouts. If you need a tile shape or layout that isn't currently provided,
please let me know. See Math.Geometry.Grid for an example of how to use the
package. Suggestions for improvement are welcome.