[Haskell-cafe] Trouble installing and using Chart/cairo on windows 7

Tim Docker tim at dockerz.net
Mon Mar 4 01:26:23 CET 2013

On 04/03/13 07:22, Arnaud Bailly wrote:
> Then I managed to install splot and timeplot. I then tried to use
> Chart to draw a simple chart, following
> http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/Chart/0.16/doc/html/Graphics-Rendering-Chart-Simple.html
> and it hang forever with a CPU at 100%.

As the author of the Chart library, I'm sorry to say "I don't know".
Chart is developed under linux, and I do occasional testing under osx,
but I don't use windows at all. Chart is a pure haskell library sitting
over cairo, so it is most likely a cairo problem rather than a chart
one, but I realise this doesn't help you.

Do the examples that come with the haskell binding to cairo work for you?

Windows and gtk continues to be problematic for many users. I'd love to
see an alternative backend for the chart library, but I would need a
graphics API that installs easily under windows, osx and linux, and
provides good access to fonts and font metrics. Any suggestions?

Tim