[Haskell-cafe] Automating Hackage accounts

Mihai Maruseac mihai.maruseac at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 16:07:38 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Tobias Dammers <tdammers at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 09:44:03AM -0400, Andrew Pennebaker wrote:
>> Could we add an HTML form for creating new Hackage accounts? Right now, our
>> community is small enough that emailing ross at soi.city.ac.uk and waiting for
>> a manual response isn't too bad of a problem, but as we grow, it would be
>> nice for these sorts of things to be handled by a server, like with
>> RubyGems and NPM.
>
> IMHO, a more pressing issue is SSL uploads and package signing. As it
> stands, anyone with a Hackage account can upload a new version of any
> given package, and some wire-sniffing is enough to reveal a legit user's
> password.

I'd try to solve the latest two things first before going into
creating a specific form.

On the other hand, maybe we can rig something up with Yesod or similar
to solve all three points at the same time. I'm busy now with my
masters disertation but I can attempt something in a month if it seems
ok and no one else does it before that date.

--
MM
"All we have to decide is what we do with the time that is given to us"