[Haskell-cafe] Most used functions in hackage

Dmitry Vyal akamaus at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 08:50:09 CET 2013

On 01/29/2013 12:23 PM, Casey Basichis wrote:

> Why do you think browsing function by function is a bad idea?  It
> seems that knowing exactly what the most used functions are would be
> an extremely effective way of finding both which parts of the Prelude
> and Hackage are most broadly useful (instead of browsing them like a
> phonebook) and also finding support from the community as the most
> commonly used functions would likely be the easiest to find support for.

Well, I think the popularity is best measured on the level of packages,
not separate functions. And I've seen quite a few ratings of most
popular packages in the past. For example:

http://corp.galois.com/blog/2009/3/23/one-million-haskell-downloads.html
http://haskellwebnews.wordpress.com/2011/03/16/hackage-stats-the-past-year/

I guess Google can suggest much more. There is one thing you should keep
in mind while looking at such charts. Authors measure number of
downloads. Most of them are results of cabal-install fetching
dependencies, not of the deliberate decision of a programmer to use the
package.