[Haskell-cafe] Container libraries

Alexander Solla alex.solla at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 19:59:40 CET 2013

Hi everybody,

What is the state of container libraries?  I am looking for a library which
provides:

* unordered containers (for "operational" type safety, I don't want to
impose orders on things that don't have them -- unordered containers does
this)
* can handled nested containers (containers does that)
* can be serialized easily, or better yet, has Generic instances

Does such a library exist?  What are you using for Set and Map needs?

I have been fond of unordered-containers for a while, but found difficulty
in creating HashSets of, for example, HashMaps, since there are no Hashable
instances for their polymorphic types.  I even dug into the code, looking
at the possibility of submitting a patch, but gave up when I ran into funky
#-suffixed values, which stymied my initial attempt.