[Haskell-cafe] ANN: hgdbmi 0.2, GDB Machine Interface

Alexander Bernauer acopton at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 20:26:10 CET 2013

Hi Daniel

thank you for your feedback.

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 11:22 AM, Daniel Trstenjak
<daniel.trstenjak at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking at the function names: have you got a c programming background?
> Instead of using these prefixes you could put the functions into separate
> modules.

Although I do have some background in C programming, these naming
schemes are not my idea. Instead the function names match the names of
the corresponding GDB/MI commands. I thought it would make sense to
use these names for ease of reference. Given this, would you still
prefer them being grouped in separate modules?

> If the interface depends on the GDB version, than it could make sense to
> encode the GDB version into the module name, something like:
> Gdbmi.V7_4.Commands

Gdbmi.Commands is not the only module that depends on the GDB version.
GDB/MI is in general still evolving and GDB's compliance with the
documentation keeps on changing on all levels. So I would have to
maintain all hgdbmi modules for each GDB version. Do you think this
makes sense and is worth the effort?

Greetings, Alex