[Haskell-cafe] Where is the "convergence point" between Category Theory and Haskell?

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Mon Jan 14 00:18:47 CET 2013

On 1/13/13 1:53 PM, Alfredo Di Napoli wrote:
> Thank you Alexander for the reply.
> My wondering is: is Hask a category created by Haskell researchers or was
> something already present in literature?

Hask was created by Haskellers in discussions on blogs etc. If one is
being particular about the details, it's not clear that Haskell types
and functions actually do form a category of interest, let alone one
with the properties commonly attributed to Hask (e.g., Cartesian
closedness). One of the big problems is how laziness/bottoms are treated
(e.g., eta-conversion does not hold in general).

Thus, I'm not sure it's ever been discussed in the literature; it's more
a helpful fiction than a legitimate mathematical object.

--
Live well,
~wren