[Haskell-cafe] Weird problem: Couldn't read cabal file "hashable/1.2.0.0/hashable.cabal"

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 07:11:26 CET 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 1:05 AM, Eugene Kirpichov <ekirpichov at gmail.com>wrote:

> A friend of mine is trying to install my "timeplotters" (see email
> signature).
> He's getting a weird error: one of the tools installs fine but the other
> one fails with the error "Couldn't read cabal file "hashable/
> 1.2.0.0/hashable.cabal""; curiously, so does running "cabal install
> cabal-install".

That's a symptom of too old cabal-install that crashes when it encounters
certain newer cabal file features.  I believe you need to upgrade
cabal-install manually (since cabal-install itself will crash trying to do
so...).

It's not opening a cabal file directly, it is trying to parse entries in
the compressed package list.