[Haskell-cafe] Object Oriented programming for Functional Programmers

MigMit miguelimo38 at yandex.ru
Tue Jan 1 21:47:56 CET 2013

Well, probably one of the reasons is that I've learned Eiffel later than Haskell.

But really, "Design by Contract" — a theory? It certainly is a useful approach, but it doesn't seem to be a theory, not until we can actually prove something about it, and Eiffel doesn't seem to offer anything in this direction.

And by "hack" I meant not the presence of pre/postconditions, but the fact that they don't affect anything else. Strip all of them away, and you'll have the program which is, essentially, the same (and, in fact, pre/postconditions are supposed to be removed in the final version of the program). Compare this to Haskell types, for example: an untyped version of Haskell won't be able to choose between two class instances, so, that would be an entirely different language.