[Haskell-cafe] GHC maintenance on Arch

Eric Velten de Melo ericvmelo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 12:20:51 CET 2012

In his defense, from the perspective of a more or less newbie in the
subject matter, I had quite a bit of trouble using Haskell under Arch.
Not that it is so much better in other systems, I wouldn't know.

I often was in the position to decide whether to use cabal-install,
arch-haskell repositories or official repositories and many times the
thing that worked for me was a mix of everything, which is quite
sub-optimal, although more or less working for me at the moment. I'm
not saying that this is because the way Arch works or the way Cabal is
designed is wrong. Maybe it is because I'm not figuring it out. Some
people say you should not use cabal-install as a package manager,
because it is not supposed to be one. Again, other people say
arch-haskell repositories are very buggy at the moment and one should
install only cabal-install and ghc from the official repositories and
only use cabal-install for the rest.

Just telling my experience so far: I often have had to struggle
between cabal dependency hell and non-working packages in the
repositories. Either something is very wrong with the way things are
right now or I'm doing everything wrong (which is more likely).

I am still not in the condition of proposing things myself, but I
don't think this is fair treatment so far to someone that is proposing
a compromise solution to a problem he found. Anyway, hopefully this
would be better clarified in the arch-haskell mailing list.