[Haskell-cafe] Problems translating Conor McBride's talk into Haskell + DataKind + KindPoly

Ahn, Ki Yung kyagrd at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 04:10:13 CEST 2012

Promotion works for user defined lists such as

data List a = Nil | Cons a (List a)

And, if I use (List Bool) instead of [Bool] everything works out.
It's only the Haskell list type constructor [] is being a problem.

In the "Giving Haskell a promotion" paper, it says that Haskell lists
are "natively promoted". I believe this means that it is treated
specially somehow. I don't know how it is implemented but what GHC 7.4.1
does specially for Haskell lists has some problems. So, it's clearly not
a limitation of DataKind and PolyKind extension, but that special
routine for [] is the issue.

I might have to write bug report.