[Haskell-cafe] Can Haskell outperform C++?

Isaac Gouy igouy2 at yahoo.com
Thu May 24 09:00:28 CEST 2012

Sorry Bryan, there are a couple of comments I should make a final reply to - I'll ignore the rest.

-snip-
>>  Says who? Is that on your own authority or some other source you can point
>> us to?
>
> It looks increasingly as though there is no point in this discussion.
> Is there ANY conceivable criticism of Java that will not elicit
> ad hominem attacks from you?

It isn't an ad hominem attack to ask you who's the authority that made some recommendation.

-snip-
>>  Wait just a moment - you wrote "I didn't _think_ I'd omitted
>>   anything important" and now it turns out that the measurements were made
>>   using your personal Smalltalk implementation!
>>
>>  You have got to be joking.
>
> Why?

Because you omitted basic information about the measurements you presented.

-snip-
>>  imo It would be better to "show how much better programs using other
> data structures and algorithms perform those specific tasks" than brandish
> anecdotes from a past century.
>
> "Past century"?  Insults, is it?

No, it's an echo of the words you used - "...insanely difficult in Fortran 77.  This century's Fortran is of course another matter."