[Haskell-cafe] Data.Array.Accelerate initialization timings

Paul Sujkov psujkov at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 14:46:48 CET 2012

Hi everyone,

since accelerate mail list seems to be defunct, I'm trying to ask specific
questions here. The problem is: array initialization in
Data.Array.Accelerate takes a 10x amount of time in contrast to both
Data.Array and bare C++ CUDA array initialization. This can be due to
Data.Array.Accelerate having two backends (however, it's own tests show
that my nVidia card is CUDA-capable), but I'm not aware of how can I
profile GPU to check whether it is used or not. Anyway, here's code:

http://hpaste.org/64036

both generateArray (DIM3) and generateArray1 (DIM1) take the same amount of
time to initialize array. I'd say the problem is in GPU memory copying
time, but here's bare C++ code:

http://hpaste.org/64037

which does exactly the same, but 10 times faster. I'm wandering what am I
doing wrong and how to check if I really am. Thanks in advance if anyone
can point me on my mistakes!

--
Regards, Paul Sujkov