[Haskell-cafe] Haskell development in Mac OS X after Gatekeeper

Richard O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Mon Feb 20 05:27:36 CET 2012

On 20/02/2012, at 3:04 PM, Jack Henahan wrote:

> What's your setup like that you can't even use gdb in your own directory? That sounds unusual. And you can turn off the warning, either globally or selectively.[3][4]

My setup is Mac OS X 10.6.8, pretty much out of the box, plus a bunch of additional
stuff, but nothing removed.  The invariable University policy is that *nobody* except
a few designated system administrators is allowed to have root access on any machine
connected to the University's ethernets.  (Apparently nobody has told them about
VirtualBox yet, so I can happily root access Solaris, Linux, and OpenBSD on my Macs.)
So
 - there's the root account,
 - there's an "admin" account just for me, which lets me turn the printer on
   and install software, but not run DTrace, and
 - there's my ordinary user account.

I can run gdb just fine, it's setting a breakpoint and then trying to run the
program that it doesn't like.  I have to re-authenticate for this every time I
log in.

> [3]: http://osxdaily.com/2010/03/29/disable-the-are-you-sure-you-want-to-open-this-file-warning-dialogue-in-mac-os-x/

Thank you.  I did not know about that.  I have been working around it by
deleting the com.apple.quarantine xattr.

> [4]: http://osxdaily.com/2010/09/12/disable-application-downloaded-from-the-internet-message-in-mac-os-x/

Now *that's* annoying.  It turns out that the xattr command is *there*,
but 'man xattr' is completely silent.  There is nothing for it in
/usr/share/man/man1 .  I had been using my own command to do the
equivalent of xattr -d.