[Haskell-cafe] Transactional memory going mainstream with Intel Haswell

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 22:14:50 CET 2012

It seems like it would still be useful for *optimizing* the implementation
of STM in Haskell; in particular, small transactions seem like a great way
to implement lock-free data structures by handling the non-composability of
compare-and-swap.

So while you wouldn't implement "atomically a" by "XBEGIN; a; XEND", you
might implement atomically by doing the transaction log as we do now, then
using XBEGIN/XEND around the commit operation.

  -- ryan