[Haskell-cafe] How to start with GHC development?

Eric Rochester erochest at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 15:10:37 CET 2012

I'm in the same boat, with just a little less reading. :)

It seems to be that if we want to encourage participation in GHC
development, the first step is to lower the barrier of entry.

One way to do that would be to have a page (wiki, perhaps) that has a
reading list for learning about GHC. I'd guess that there are a lot of
people like Janek and myself who want to contribute, even a little, and
just aren't sure about where to start. We're happy to do our homework, but
we need some assignments, so to speak.

Another idea is to have a list of open tasks grouped by how difficult they
will be and how much knowledge of Haskell and GHC will be required. This is
somewhat at odds with the earlier suggestion to have domains in codebase,
with separate de facto maintainers for each. However, it would make it
easier for others to contribute. I could also see where the domain
maintainers could put simpler tasks into a global index. That might mix the
best of both.

I'll be happy to start accumulating information for the wiki page. I'm in
the middle of drafting a book, however, so it'll be Feb at the earliest
before I can really pay significant attention to it.

Best,
Eric