[Haskell-cafe] Categorized Weaknesses from the State of Haskell 2011 Survey

Eric Rasmussen ericrasmussen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 00:19:13 CEST 2011

+1 for Heinrich Apfelmus's suggestion of cookbook recipes.

In other language communities I see a lot of "quickstart" guides designed to
help someone get up and running without a full understanding of what they're
doing, presumably with the hope that once they get started it will provide
the motivation to keep learning. But admittedly, and for good reason,
learning the how without the why seems to run counter to the general
mentality of the Haskell community.

For widely used libraries it'd be nice to a see a supporting wiki page
broken into sections like conceptual overview, how to navigate the API if
it's extensive, tutorials, and cookbook recipes. Motivating the community to
contribute supporting documentation could alleviate some of the burden for
library writers. Frequently updated and extensive community docs can also
help newcomers decide which library to start with for a given task, rather
than relying purely on Hackage descriptions. I'm slowly assembling
supporting docs of this kind for the libraries I use the most, and if anyone
is working on something similar I'm happy to help by trying out the
tutorials and giving feedback.

Thanks!
Eric