[Haskell-cafe] lost in generics

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 22:44:48 CEST 2011

On 20 October 2011 18:12, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
> I need some help finding my way around the various generics libraries.
>
> My usage scenario is -- at least to start with -- the ASTs of programming
> languages.

> In general my question is:  What is alive/active and what is alive/active
> and what is -- um -- moved-on-from.
> And of course which are easier and which more difficult to dig into.

I'd group Strafunski, Uniplate and Kure together as they are all have
extensive "traversal control".

Uniplate is a good choice as it is well documented and in active use.

Kure is good if you know Strafunski, but might be a struggle to work
with otherwise.

Strafunski was pre-Hackage and used Drift for pre-processing so
installing it nowadays would be a challenge. However, Strafunksi is
well documented, especially the "Design Patterns for Functional
Strategic Programming"[*] paper. Its worth reading this even if you
don't use Strafunski.

[*] http://arxiv.org/abs/cs/0204015