[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: vector-bytestring-0.0.0.0

Jean-Marie Gaillourdet jmg at gaillourdet.net
Mon Oct 17 12:35:47 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 17.10.2011, at 12:14, Bas van Dijk wrote:

> On 17 October 2011 10:18, Christian Maeder <Christian.Maeder at dfki.de> wrote:
>
> My idea is that when vector-bytestring is as fast as bytestring, it
> can replace it. When that happens it doesn't matter if users use the
> vector interface. I would even recommend it over using the bytestring
> interface so that bytestring can eventually be deprecated in favor of
> vector.

What about lazy bytestrings? I wasn't aware that vector also supports huge logical array which are suitable for very large io streams. I'd be glad if vector is also suitable for such applications. But if not, then there is still a need for the bytestring package in order to support streaming gigabytes of data in a small constant sized heap.

Cheers,
  Jean