[Haskell-cafe] ANN: hit a reimplementation of git storage in haskell.

Vincent Hanquez tab at snarc.org
Tue Oct 4 23:15:13 CEST 2011

Hi Haskellers,

I just want to announce the hit project [1], which is a reimplementation of low
level git operations to read *AND* write to a git repository. It support reading
from anything i threw at it (loose objects, packed objects, deltas), a subset of
revisions specifier (man gitrevisions), and writing new objects (blob, tree,
commit, tag).

I don't necessarily want to re-implement git itself (although patches welcome if
someone want to go in this direction), and as such the project is a bit of a toy
to investigate git storage (for another project of mine) and superseeding my own
libgit project (for yet another project). Yet it should be completely functional
and have good performance.

A few word of the implementation: it's very IO based at the moment; The way
things are done by git, doesn't necessarily cope with pure and nice stuff if
performance need to follow. That said it should still be easier to understand
than reading the git source :-)

Any comments welcome,

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/hit/

--