[Haskell-cafe] A Mascot

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Mon Nov 21 23:25:28 CET 2011

heathmatlock wrote:
> Cute! I like it!

Yea, it's cute. I don't like the formula, though: \x -> x + x is just too
trivial and not very Haskellish. Something higher order is the minimum
requirement, IMO. The original (lambda knights) formula was cool: the fixed
point operator is directly related to recursion, which is reflected in the
picture that contains itself; note also that defining this operator requires
an untyped language, so this fits LISP quite well (but not Haskell).

What about the formula for function composition

  (f . g) x = f (g x)

maybe together with its type (or maybe only the type)

  (.) :: (b -> c) -> (a -> b) -> a -> c

Extremely cool are GADTs, such as

  data Eq a b where Refl :: Eq a a

Or, if you'd like something more obscure but still at the center of what
Haskell is about, take the mother of all monads

  m >>= f = \k -> m (\a -> (f a) k)

This is a formula I can spend a day contemplating and still wonder if I have
_really_ understood it. And doesn't that properly reflect the depth and
richness of Haskell?

Cheers
Ben