[Haskell-cafe] A Mascot

Jesse Schalken jesseschalken at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 12:31:25 CET 2011

I like the idea of a mascot. I like the idea of a lamb called Da, as most
of Haskell's strength comes from it's closeness to pure lambda calculus.

A few things I'd like to see in a mascot:
- Simple. You should be able to draw it in a few seconds.
- Look good in black and white.
- Have obvious features so it is identifiable from a distance.
- Be a little bit cute.

I don't see why ⊥ has to be featured. ⊥ means a computation can terminate
without returning a value. That is a flaw, not a strength. If a computation
may fail, return a Maybe or Either String. If a computation might not
terminate, let it not terminate and I can find out why with my debugger.
That covers all the use cases of ⊥. It also undermines the type system as
beginners often write functions which return ⊥ where they should either be
returning a Maybe or Either String, or expressing the violated precondition
in the type system so it can be tested at compile time. What am I missing?