[Haskell-cafe] Getting started on Mac OSX

Donn Cave donn at avvanta.com
Fri Nov 11 16:18:19 CET 2011

Quoth hstenstrom <h.stenstrom at gmail.com>,

> I have a book on Haskell, and I've downloaded and installed Haskell Platform
> for Mac OS X. What do I do now?
> XCode is a requirement, and I have it, but I don't know how to run it. To
> begin with, I want to test small examples from the book, using ghc or ghci.
> I have read file:///Library/Haskell/doc/start.html.
>
> - Where is the software I've just installed?
> - How is ghci started? Or the "platform", whatever that is?

The location of the software is covered in /Library/Haskell/doc/start.html.
The key point is that the executables - like ghci - are in your path
via /usr/bin.  What they mean by "should be available in any shell", is
that when you run Terminal, you can just type "ghci" at the prompt.

Terminal may be hiding in Applications/Utilities.  Apple clearly
underestimates the value of this application for its users, but you
won't - you're going to be using Terminal a lot, for GHC.  You need
XCode only because GHC needs its compiler and libraries, you won't
use XCode directly yourself just to run examples from the book.

	Donn