[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Platform for OSX ?

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 21:45:01 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 3:37 AM, dokondr <dokondr at gmail.com> wrote:

> In case I upgrade to the latest Haskell Platform, what will happen to
> packages already installed  in my ~/.cabal folder? Some of these are quite
> old and most probably will be incompatible with GHC 7
> Does upgrade process remove old  and create anew ~/.cabal folder?

The compiled packages are stored in a directory that is specific to
the version of GHC that was used to build them, so you don't need to
worry about that.

Indeed, you can switch between GHCs (eg: by tweaking your $PATH, or
using a tool like virthualenv) as much as you want and they won't
interfere with most packages. (There may be issues with respect to
/executables/ but that /should/ also be OK.  Executables and cabal are
a whole different problem, but most of the time things work out.)

--Rogan