[Haskell-cafe] capri cabal-dev virtualenv cab

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Tue Nov 8 19:57:00 CET 2011

On Tue, Nov 08, 2011 at 10:04:20AM -0800, Rogan Creswick wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 11:40 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone give me a little comparison of these?
>
> virtualenv:
>
> I'm not familiar with virtualenv, but from skimming the site, it looks
> like it does something very similar to cabal-dev, but focused on
> python.  I'm not sure if it can be used with other languages /
> arbitrary tools or not.

I'm guessing the OP was actually referring to 'virthualenv', which was
recently released and works with Haskell (but is similar to virtualenv
for python).  It seems that virthualenv lets you set up independent
"environments" including sandboxed builds and custom versions of GHC,
etc., and switch between them.

-Brent