[Haskell-cafe] Persistent Concurrent Data Structures

Jeremy Shaw jeremy at n-heptane.com
Wed Nov 2 00:28:59 CET 2011

If I have a list [a], and I want to make that persistence, then I have
to have some way to serialize values of type 'a'. If I then modify my
type, then the serialized structure will be out of sync with the new
version of the type -- so I will need some sort of migration feature.

safecopy addresses both the issues of serializing the data and
migrating it when the datastructure changes:

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/safecopy

You should definitely consider using that.

When it comes to concurrency.. my big question is how do you plan to
deal with transaction boundaries / atomicness.

For example, if each function (like, filter, map, etc) is atomic. That
doesn't mean you have something atomic when you do:

 filter pred =<< map f l

something could sneak in between the 'map' and the 'filter'.

An obviously solution would be to do something like:

 transaction $ filter pred =<< map f l

Which could mean that the datastore would have to be locked until that
entire operation is done?

Also.. what does it mean to have a 'persistent list'. In that example,
is map destructive? Does it modify the list ? Or does it produce a new
list?

A somewhat related system is, of course, acid-state (formerly happstack-state).

The solution there is pretty simple, and somewhat more flexible. To
write code you basically just use the State monad. You can store just
about any types you want and use just about any functions you want. To
get and update the state you just use get/set.

simpleTransaction
  do l <- get
      let l' = filter pred (map f l)
      put l'
      return l'

That updates the list and returns the modified list as well.

To make that into a transaction we use a bit of template-haskell to
mark it is a transaction

$(makeAcidic ''MyDatabase ['simpleTransaction])

The appeal of this solution is that you are not limited to just a List
or Map or whatever types people have bother to import into the system.
If you decide you want to use Data.Tree you need only do:

$(deriveSafeCopy 1 'base ''Tree)

And now you can use it persistently and concurrently as well. You do
not have to recreate every function in Data.Tree.

Still, I can see the appeal of just being able to import NData.Map,
deriving a serialize instance for your data, and start writing very
normal looking code. There is something very nice about just being
able to use a function like 'transaction' to mark the boundaries of a
transaction rather than having to give the transaction and name and
call some template haskell function.

Using acid-state, it would be very easy to implement a persistent
version of Data.Map where each function is atomic. However, there is
currently no way to group multiple events into a single transaction.
Though I think I can imagine how to add such a feature. Of course, the
idea of having a big lock blocking everything is not very appealing.
But as an experimental fork it could be interesting..

But, first I would like to hear more about how you imagined
transactions would actually work in the first place..

The big issue I see is that transactions can be a real performance
problem. If I write code for a Map-like persistent structure:

 transaction $ do v <- lookup "key" pmap
                         v' <- doSomethingExpensive v
                         insert v pmap

That is going to really lock things up, since nothing else can happen
while that transaction is running?

Still, it sounds interesting.. just not easy :)

I would definitely encourage you to consider safecopy at the very
least. It is completely independent of acid-state. It is simply a fast
versioned data serialization library.

- jeremy