[Haskell-cafe] Hackage feature request: E-mail author when a package breaks

Max Bolingbroke batterseapower at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 1 11:31:24 CET 2011

On 1 November 2011 10:14, Ketil Malde <ketil at malde.org> wrote:
> So, I'd *love* to get an email when my packages fail to build, but I will
> accept that other people have a more sensitive relationship with their
> inbox.  (I assume that the people who raise this objection - Max
> and Yitzchak - belong in this category?

Don't get me wrong, I personally would like such a notification
service. I'm just making a case for making it somehow opt-out, perhaps
at a per-package granularity.

I already use the packdeps service to find out when I should relax my
package's version bounds. Packdeps delivers this information to me via
RSS, which I think this is a great solution - I don't feel under any
pressure to read it but the information is there if I want to have a
look. So ideally what I would like from Hackage 2.0 is a RSS feed that
includes build failure messages, packdeps-like information and perhaps
other stuff -- notification of automated testsuite failures,
milestones reached ("Your edit-distance package has been downloaded
1000 times! Congratulations!" :-)) and new reviews/comments on my
packages (if Hackage ever gets that feature).

Max