[Haskell-cafe] Amazon AWS storage best to use with Haskell?

Neil Davies semanticphilosopher at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 08:53:52 CET 2011

Word of caution

Understand the semantics (and cost profile) of the AWS services first - you can't just open a HTTP connection and dribble data out over several days and hope for things to work. It is not a system that has that sort of laziness at its heart.

AWS doesn't supply a traditional remote file store semantics - is queuing, simple database and object store have all been designed for large scale systems being offered as a service to a (potentially hostile) large set of users - you can see that in the way that things are designed. There are all sorts of (sensible from their point of view) performance related limits and retries.

The challenge in designing nice clean layers on top of AWS is how/when to hide the transient/load related failures.

Neil