[Haskell-cafe] Status of Haskell + Mac + GUIs & graphics

murray at sonology.net murray at sonology.net
Sat May 21 15:23:51 CEST 2011

On 2011-05-20, Evan Laforge <qdunkan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Note that it is supposed to be possible to build gtk2hs with gtk+osx,
>> which will not use X11 but use the native OS X GUI. I've not been able
>> to get this to work, but it's been a while since I tried. The Haskell
>> wiki mentions it doesn't support Glade, but does support Cairo. If
>> this were to work, gtk2hs would be a serious option as well.
>
> I've tried this 3 or 4 times, and failed every time.  It's crazy complicated.

A couple of months ago I succeeded in installing gtk2hs like this on a
Snow Leopard MacBook Air and it seemed to work pretty well.  It was
indeed a fairly involved process but it seemed to work and, with a
slightly modified ige-mac-integration, got nice mac-style menu bars etc.
for my application.  Unfortunately I'm travelling at the moment and
don't have the mac with me and I'm a little hazy on the details but when
I get back I'll try to write up my experience.

Murray Campbell <murray at sonology.net>