[Haskell-cafe] Data Flow Programming in FP

Richard Senington sc06r2s at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Jun 21 12:18:13 CEST 2011

On 20/06/11 16:37, David Barbour wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Richard Senington
> <sc06r2s at leeds.ac.uk <mailto:sc06r2s at leeds.ac.uk>> wrote:
>
>     I have recently become interested in Dataflow programming and how
>     it related to functional languages.
>     I am wondering if the community has any advice on reading matter
>     or other directions to look at.
>
>     So far I have been looking through the FRP libraries, using
>     Haskell functions with lazy lists for co-routines and
>     the Essence of Dataflow Programming by Uustalu and Vene where they
>     propose using co-monads.
>
>     It looks as though Iteratees are also relevant but I have not got
>     round to looking at them in detail yet.
>
>     Have I missed anything?
>

> Arrows are a useful model for dataflow programming. But several FRP
> models are arrowized, so you might already have observed this. Which
> FRP models have you looked at? (there are several)
>
> I'm developing a model for reactive dataflows in open distributed
> systems, called reactive demand programming (RDP). It's basically
> distributed FRP with carefully constrained side-effects and signals
> that model disruption. The effects model enforces spatial idempotence
> and commutativity, which allows developers to perform refactoring and
> abstraction similar to that in a pure functional model. That signals
> model disruption allows 'open' composition and extension (e.g. runtime
> plugins). RDP is more composable than FRP because client-server
> relationships can be captured as regular RDP behaviors.
>
> RDP isn't ready for release, yet, but you can read a bit more at my blog:
>
> [1] http://awelonblue.wordpress.com/2011/05/21/comparing-frp-to-rdp/
>
> Regards,
>
> David Barbour

I have been looking through the papers by Conal Elliott and Paul Hudak,
Hudak's book "The Haskell School of Expression" (chapters 13,15,17) and
the latest version
of the Reactive library on Hackage.
In the past I have looked at Arrows, but I think I should have another
look now, thanks for the suggestion.

RS