[Haskell-cafe] How to install GhC on a Mac without registering?

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Mon Jun 6 10:18:37 CEST 2011

Chris Smith wrote:
>  I had to abandon a plan
> to introduce Haskell in a class I taught this past semester
> [12 to 13 years old] because of issues with getting it
> installed on the Macintosh laptops that some of
> the students had.

Truth is, you obviously don't need support for FFI development
in that kind of situation. Hugs used to fill this niche. Now that Hugs
isn't so well supported anymore, there is a void to be filled.

On the other hand, Mark Lentczner has been doing a great job
lately with the Haskell Platform installer for the Mac. So
even though the full power of GHC isn't needed here,
it is becoming really easy to get Haskell installed and working
on a Mac in seconds. Apart from the need for XCode, which seems
to be the last remaining issue.

For now, at least, Malcolm's idea of an XCode 3 DVD seems to
be a workaround. We'll see what happens with Lion though...

Regards,
Yitz