[Haskell-cafe] ANN: cabal-dev 0.8

Gregory Collins greg at gregorycollins.net
Tue Jul 19 10:33:07 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvr at gnu.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 15:29 -0700, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
>
>> Wonderful! This is absolutely one of those indispensable tools for
>> build automation and sanity preservation. I use cabal-dev to manage
>> the builds for all of my Haskell projects, under many different
>> configurations: https://jenkins.serpentine.com/
>
> Looks very interesting... do you happen to have described your Jenkins
> setup for Haskell development somewhere?

We use it too:

http://buildbot.snapframework.com/

It's extremely easy to set up, you just get Jenkins to issue all of
the shell commands you need to issue to build the project. For an
example, see the console output from our last snap-server build:
http://buildbot.snapframework.com/job/snap-server/build_mode=Default/lastBuild/console

Particular tips from our configuration:

  * Jenkins is a Java project, and hence gobbles RAM. My VPS couldn't
handle it, so I run it over a VPN tunnel to a machine sitting in my
living room.

  * If you set up test-framework to run your tests, you can get it to
spit out junit XML which Jenkins understands

  * Get Jenkins to wrap up your haddocks and HPC test coverage
reports, it's really useful.

Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>