[Haskell-cafe] Paid work available in functional web programming

Ertugrul Soeylemez es at ertes.de
Wed Jul 13 18:43:58 CEST 2011

Christopher Done <chrisdone at googlemail.com> wrote:

> > I write to mention briefly that I'm looking for people interested in
> > writing Ur/Web programs for pay.  Ur/Web is a DSL for building
> > modern web applications, and I believe it is truly a secret weapon
> > for that domain, and one that should appeal to many Haskell fans.  I
> > have one customer now for whom I'm leading a project to develop a
> > particular web application, and I'd like to have more.  The current
> > project would benefit from more programming help, and I would also
> > like to develop a network of people interested in future projects.
>
> I would like to see a real application in Ur/Web. There are many
> simple examples. I don't and wouldn't want to develop like that,
> writing raw HTML and SQL seems going backwards despite the incredible
> advances in consistency and correctness that Ur/Web offers.

I agree about the HTML part, but not so much about the SQL part.
Personally I went back from all the nice abstractions to writing raw
SQL, because I realized that this is the only way to really exploit the
power of my database system (PostgreSQL) [1].

[1] http://coder.mx/journal/yesod-persistent-vs-sql

> I also find it hard to understand the type system in a non-superficial
> level because the related paper was very hard to grok. I tried to get
> it running a while ago and could not get it to compile. I would also
> like to see how it handles non-web stuff as inevitably IME web
> applications involve more than merely reading and writing to a
> database.
>
> I like the idea, please keep us posted about it.

I like the continuation part about it.  If there were a web framework in
Haskell similar to the continuation-based framework in Racket or Ur/Web,
I would most certainly switch to it (from Yesod), given that it's mature
enough.

Greets,
Ertugrul

http://ertes.de/