[Haskell-cafe] ANN: theoremquest-0.0.0

Jesper Louis Andersen jesper.louis.andersen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 17:59:52 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 17:02, Colin Adams
<colinpauladams at googlemail.com> wrote:

> No I haven't. I'm not a mass-market gamer. I'm an ex-hard-core gamer.

I think that basically, it is the same psychological stuff that is
going on in the brains of (puzzle) gamers and people who interactively
proves theorems. It is like solving an intricate puzzle, the pieces
fitting just being lemmas, axioms, definitions, corollaries and what
not. It gives me the very same kick as fragging 8 players with a quad
in Quake Live does. That said, it is probably not for everybody. What
is true of both is that they are quite addictive. Learning to do a
technically hard jump in QL is the very same as learning a new proof
technique: when you have it under your wings, you can go to places
impossible before.

Many "normal" puzzle games fit into the NP-complete class as well, so
it would look as if human beings like the challenge of trying to solve
hard problems. Theorem proving is simply yet another beast in the zoo,
underpinning the other games.

--
J.