[Haskell-cafe] What happens if you get hit by a bus?

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Fri Dec 16 21:51:32 CET 2011

On 16/12/2011 07:05 PM, Bardur Arantsson wrote:
> Michael Litchard wrote:
>
> [--snip--]
>
> If getting hit by a bus is a significant factor in the overall outcome of
> the project then I think those are pretty good odds, aren't they?
>
> (I do realize that traffic accidents are a lot more frequent than we like to
> think, but still...)

The /actual/ probability of being hit by a bus is irrelevant. The only
thing of concequence is the /percieved/ probability. This latter
quantity is not related to the former in any meaningful way. In fact,
due to an effect known as availability bias, the probability of any
potential threat varies depending on how long you spend thinking about it.

(In other words, if you've never even considered what would happen if
your sole developer got hit by a bus, your estimate of the probability
of this will be very low. If you sit down and think about how much
trouble you'd be in if this actually happened, suddenly your estimate of
the probability starts increasing. This is completely illogical - which
is why it's called a cognitive bias.)

Ever heard the phrase "fear, uncertainty and doubt"? It's a killer in a
business context.

It seems clear [to me] that there are actually quite a few Haskell
programmers around, and it's not especially hard to find them. The
question is how many "good" ones there are. "Good" is all vague and
subjective and hard to measure, unfortunately.

On the other hand, if you just start the project with more than one
developer on board in the first place, then the possibility of just one
of them being killed prematurely becomes drastically less serious. (For
the business. I'm sure it's still fairly serious for the person who just
DIED...)

PS. Kudos to Ketil Malde for the best link I've seen today.