[Haskell-cafe] why is Random in System?

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 23:42:12 CEST 2011

Yeah, fair enough about getting the seed.  I think I like the idea of
breaking them into System.Entropy and then Random or Data.Random.  It
feels odd to stick pure algorithm packages, which simply accept a
random seed or stream from elsewhere, under System.Random.

There are a fair number of alternate implementations on hackage which
suggests people aren't satisfied with the stdlib one but haven't quite
settled down on a standard alternative.

James Cook, good point about Data.  I suppose that's also why it seems
to be the catch all for everything in haskell.