[Haskell-cafe] Good reads?

Edward Amsden eca7215 at cs.rit.edu
Wed Apr 27 00:52:11 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Christopher Svanefalk
<christopher.svanefalk at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am currently reading through Peyton-Jones "Haskell: The Craft of
> Functional Programming" (2nd ed.), as well as a great paper published by
> one of my professors
> (http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~rjmh/Papers/whyfp.html). However, what
> other works, in your opinions, should I look into to get a more complete
> understanding of functional programming?

You might consult the Typeclassopedia (Brent Yorgey).

Understanding these typeclasses helped me start understand the power
of abstraction that Haskell (and FP in general) gives a programmer.

quoth the abstract:
"The standard Haskell libraries feature a number of type classes with
algebraic or category-theoretic underpinnings. Becoming a fluent
Haskell hacker requires intimate familiarity with them all, yet
acquiring this familiarity often involves combing through a mountain
of tutorials, blog posts, mailing list archives, and IRC logs.

"The goal of this article is to serve as a starting point for the
student of Haskell wishing to gain a firm grasp of its standard type
classes. The essentials of each type class are introduced, with
examples, commentary, and extensive references for further reading."

http://www.haskell.org/wikiupload/8/85/TMR-Issue13.pdf, page 13

And from a fellow student: have fun!

--
Edward Amsden