[Haskell-cafe] When I change the cabal file to say preference: base >= 4

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Wed Sep 29 19:58:48 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 3:56 PM,  <caseyh at istar.ca> wrote:
> When I change the cabal file to say
> preference: base >= 4
> I still get, "you are using base 3.0 which is deprecated."
> When I change the overall cabal profile, the error message still comes up.
> It seems like some other part of the install process is controlling the base
> version, besides the *.cabal and cabal profile file.

When you run install or configure, try passing -v to see the verbose
output.  This can often help you see why the wrong package is picked.
With base it's a bit trickier.

In theory, constraints should override preferences.  Base has a
special thing where the preference overrides constraints when the
upper bound is missing.  Does the package in question have an upper
bound on the version of base?  Something like, base == 4.*, or base >
3 && base < 5  ?

Jason