[Haskell-cafe] I still cannot seem to get a GUI working under Windows.

Steve Schafer steve at fenestra.com
Wed Sep 29 14:33:39 EDT 2010

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 20:08:07 +0200, you wrote:

>I think the problem is lack of Windows developers interested in GUIs,
>and that Windows is not so POSIXy-development-friendly as Linux or OS
>X. But mostly lack of people interested in that area, I think.

There are lots of Windows developers "interested" in GUIs. On the whole,
I'd say that Windows developers are far more focused on GUIs than
non-Windows developers. (See, for example:

 http://mpt.net.nz/archive/2008/08/01/free-software-usability

and

 http://daringfireball.net/2004/04/spray_on_usability

for some discussion of attitudes.)

The issue isn't that there aren't a lot of Windows developers who have
an interest in Haskell+GUI development. The issue is that nearly every
Windows developer who looks into Haskell+GUI says, "This stuff sucks,"
and walks away, because they're interested in developing applications,
not wrestling with GUI toolkits.

-Steve Schafer