[Haskell-cafe] Retargeting Haskell compiler to embedded/hardware

Vo Minh Thu noteed at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 02:42:40 EDT 2010

2010/9/29 Tom Hawkins <tomahawkins at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Shakthi Kannan <shakthimaan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you are still at it, you can have a look at Chalmers Lava [1], or
>> Kansas Lava [2].
>> Feldspar [3] project targets DSP though.
>
> These are examples light embedded DSLs, i.e. sophisticated libraries
> where you compile, then run the program to generate code.  This is not
> what I want.  Rather, I am looking for advice on how to splice GHC --
> or another implementation -- where I can build a compiler starting
> from a type checked, simplified Haskell AST; or better yet, an
> unevaluated call graph.

Hi Tom,

How much of GHC's Haskell do you want? If you are happy with something
*similar* to Haskell, did you consider to implement (or reuse if
something exists) your own concrete syntax and type checker? I would
think those problems are quite lightweight in regard to writing a new
backend.

Cheers,
Thu