[Haskell-cafe] Inverse of HaskellDB

Jonathan Geddes geddes.jonathan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 15:31:35 EDT 2010

Cafe,

HaskellDB takes a database schema and produces Haskell data structures
(plus some other query-related stuff for its EDSL query language).

What I'm looking for is the inverse of this functionality. I want to
create tables based on a Haskell data structure with a few simple
rules. These rules include: if a field is not of the form `Maybe a'
then it can't be nullable in the database. If a field is not a
primitive (in the database) then it is actually stored in another
table and a reference id is stored in the table. Tables are produced
recursively, unless they already exist, etc.

The HaskellDB approach is great for interfacing with existing tables,
but in my case I already have data structures and now I would like a
quick way to create tables to persist them.

Does such a thing exist? If not, would you find it useful? I may take
this up as a side project if it does not already exist and others
would find it useful.

Thanks,

--Jonathan