[Haskell-cafe] Re: Unified Haskell login

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Sun Sep 19 09:40:33 EDT 2010

Thank you everyone for the feedback. Based on what people have been
saying, here's a more concrete proposal:

* Creates a website haskellers.com where people can create profiles.
* Logins to haskellers.com will be via OpenID. There will probably be
some kind of widget to make that simpler[1].
* Multiple OpenIDs can be tied into a single profile on Haskellers.
* A profile on Haskellers will have a unique number and corresponding
unique URL associated with it (http://www.haskellers.com/profile/1/,
for example).
* On Haskellers you will be able to associate your Hackage username
somehow. I'll probably need some cooperation from the Hackage side.
(Ideally, I would have wanted a system where we could do away with
having a separate Hackage username, but I doubt that will happen.)
* The profile's unique URL will actually be a RESTful API, providing
data as HTML, JSON, possible a Haskell-specific format, etc.
* There will also be a RESTful API for discovering the profiles
available on Haskellers.
* And here's the important bit: there will be an API to lookup a
profile by OpenID URL. This is what will allow the universal login:
any site can simply allow OpenID login and query any information it
wants from Haskellers.
* Another feature I'd like to explore is allowing some kind of OAuth
protocol for other websites to gain authorization to make
modifications to profiles on Haskellers.

The question of *what* information we want as part of a profile is
also very important, but is really a tangential discussion to the
universal login issue. The question I have is whether this kind of a
system will provide the support other sites/services would want?

Notably absent here is the use of services besides OpenID for
authentication. I personally would have thought allowing Twitter and
Facebook logins would be a win, but there seems to be lackluster
interest in this. Also, having some kind of "login via Hackage"
probably would be nice as well, but once again does not seem like
there is demand for it.

Michael

[1] http://code.google.com/p/openid-selector/