[Haskell-cafe] Generating arbitrary functions with QuickCheck?

Jonas Almström Duregård jonas.duregard at chalmers.se
Thu Sep 16 09:27:57 EDT 2010

The type (String -> Maybe (a, String)) should already be an instance of
arbitrary if a is.

One way of generating functions is to have some sort of hashing function (a
-> Int). Functions from a to b can be generating by using the hash value to
transform the random seed before the b is generated. Here is a rough outline
for such a system:

genB :: StdGen -> B
hashA :: A -> Int
transformGen :: Int -> StdGen -> StdGen

genFun :: StdGen -> (A -> B)
genFun g a = genB $ transformGen (hashA a) g

In QC you have this instance:

(CoArbitrary<http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/QuickCheck/2.1.0.1/doc/html/Test-QuickCheck-Arbitrary.html#t:CoArbitrary>
 a, Arbitrary<http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/QuickCheck/2.1.0.1/doc/html/Test-QuickCheck-Arbitrary.html#t:Arbitrary>
b)
=> Arbitrary<http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/QuickCheck/2.1.0.1/doc/html/Test-QuickCheck-Arbitrary.html#t:Arbitrary>
(a
-> b)

And CoArbitrary is the class where you implement the trick described above.
Look at the function called variant as well.

/J

On 16 September 2010 02:59, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com