[Haskell-cafe] Re: Scraping boilerplate deriving?

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Wed Sep 15 23:23:45 EDT 2010

On 9/15/10 9:11 AM, Kevin Jardine wrote:
> Hi Malcolm,
>
> In this case, I am counting on GHC's
>
> {-# LANGUAGE GeneralizedNewtypeDeriving #-}
>
> feature to derive the instances for the classes I am including in the
> deriving clause.
>
> So perhaps portability is not a big issue here in any case.

Yes, but GND is a feature that would not be terribly difficult to add to
another compiler. That it is GHC-only today is only because other
compilers have bigger fish to fry. Implementing TH, on the other hand,
is a major undertaking and doesn't look like it will be reimplemented
anytime soon.

--
Live well,
~wren